- Suicide is not an “ok” subject for conversation. If you talk about suicide, unless you clearly mention a specific person, the assumption is that “you may be thinking of something stupid”. It is not even considered that you may be talking about suicide as a phenomenon that happens among people in general. There are immediate attempts to shut down the conversation or move to other subjects.
- Every person I spoke with. EVERY PERSON. Has thought about suicide. As in, their own death, at their own hands. It has usually been at a time of great frustration, but more than that, it has been curiosity about suicide itself. Every person I discussed this with has given some thoughts as to what a “viable” suicide would be – usually in terms of painless.
- Almost no person I spoke with had actually tried to commit suicide, or even planned to do it. Those who had almost always backed off the idea and called it their cowardice, or changed their minds and decided to fight back, or endure or otherwise hang on to hope. One person I know had made an attempt and got rescued. One person – who had actually talked about it with me as a kid – when I hadn’t even thought about it yet – did commit suicide a few years ago – successfully. I am not aware of the details – I came to know much later through a mutual friend. One person I know committed suicide when all seemed to be going well. Had not talked with him. He wasn’t that close a friend.
- Suicide is seen as a sign of weakness and shame in common conversation. Suicide is talked of as an angry rejection or frustrated giving up when speaking of own contemplations.
- Suicide is very personal. Be it thinking of your own, or someone you love, or someone you know, or someone you read of in the news. It is still very personal. Generates a lot of emotion – usually in favor of the victim, but I have known some who have hated the person committing suicide for “doing this to us”.
Founder at Aam Janata
Vidyut has a keen interest in mass psychology and using it as a lens to understand contemporary politics, social inequality and other dynamics of power within the country. She is also into Linux and internet applications and servers and has sees technology as an important area India lacks security in.
Latest posts by Vidyut (see all)
- Open letter to the Chief Justice of India - April 13, 2019
- Nationwide Protest by NREGA workers #NREGASangharshMorcha - March 2, 2019
- Repression of Activists cannot stop the second Kisan Long March - February 16, 2019