As I read about the lukewarm government responses in Kashmir, I feel concern about the total lack of energy and initiative. The government seems lost and more interested in damage control to its image than responding to the situation. Okay, Kashmir is one thing, but China? Have we forgotten so much of history that we don’t sit up and take notice on China’s actions?
Am I stupid to be concerned, or is the government playing ostrich? India went seriously wrong on China’s “intentions reading” under Nehru. It cannot afford to go wrong a second time
- China has moved new advanced longer range CSS-5 missiles close to the borders with India and developed contingency plans to shift airborne … In one of its internet avatars, I read that the US warned India (some Pentagon report) that it had caught these details. Do I say at this point how embarrassing it should be that the US from the other side of the world has a better grip on what is happening at our borders?
- The Indian government responded “we know”! (can’t find the link right now, but it describes a pretty laid back response, as in, okay, thanks for telling, but we already knew.
- The BJP made a scene (thank God, someone was awake) Concern was expressed by a BJP member in the Lok Sabha today over reports that China has moved new advanced longer range CSS-5 missiles close …
- India considers some missiles and Air Force India is considering deploying its nuclear-capable ballistic missiles in the North-East close to its border with China in an apparent attempt to enhance its military preparedness. Still considering? Seriously? You’ve got the missiles, park ’em where they will be useful, no? What is to consider? Missiles can’t operate rescue missions after something happens.
- India wakes up or suddenly thinks its a good idea to convey how serious they are? Detail emerges that the missiles India’s planning to park at the border are nuclear capable! Wow!!! Wait a minute. Is this the fabled cold start? Where one minute you are cool with news that missiles are pointed at our borders and the next you make a point of mentioning that missiles to be sent to counter are nuclear capable? I mean, sure they will be, but does that have to be the headline of one of your first real responses? Doesn’t this bus have switches for ‘readiness’ or ‘find out’
A few days ago, I read some peripheral news while I was reading about the humanitarian situation in the Pakistan floods. It was alarming because it spoke of Chinese soldiers in POK apparently there to stay.