- Use milk cooker: Double boiler should work too, but I found the irritating whistle of the milk cooker as soon as it got hot to be a great nudge toward turning the heat off. I didn’t need to ‘cook’ the soap. Just saponify it.
- Keep things hot: Don’t go longer than 20 min without turning the heat back on. Perhaps more or less time depending on the batch size.
- Forget all the intermediate steps: They cause more confusion and performance anxiety. Measure out ingredients accurately, dilute lye in water (CAREFULLY!!! *Please read below.), add lye water to oil (CAREFULLY) and keep stirring things and keeping ’em hot’ till wax like soap is ready. Takes a long time, but you don’t need to sit with your hand in the soap, so to say. Heat it, stir it, switch off when hot, go do something else for a bit. Once you reach the applesauce phase, stay there. Doesn’t take much longer. Heat, stir, heat, stir. Mashed potatoes. Do the additives thing, mix, pour into molds.
- Cover every inch of bare skin. Wear goggles.
- Keep a bottle of vinegar handy.
- Do this stuff near a source of abundant water (yeah, your sink is good).
- Don’t get paranoid, but don’t get careless, no matter how experienced you get.
- Get vinegar on everything you may spill wet or dry caustic soda on.
- Rinse, rinse, rinse. Never mind the soap for a bit.
- If you get burned, vinegar, rinse, rinse. Have emergency medical support plans.
- ALWAYS mix your lye just before adding to oil. Don’t measure, let it hang around, mix, let it hang around, and so on. Get it out of its safe place, measure, put remaining back, mix, add to oil.
- Mark the lye clearly so that everyone knows not to touch it. If you have kids at home (I do). Store it out of reach, or locked.
- Be careful, alert. If you’re tired, sleepy, etc. Do it tomorrow.
Founder at Aam Janata
Vidyut has a keen interest in mass psychology and using it as a lens to understand contemporary politics, social inequality and other dynamics of power within the country. She is also into Linux and internet applications and servers and has sees technology as an important area India lacks security in.
Latest posts by Vidyut (see all)
- Checking the latest provisional data from the Election Commission of India (with map) - June 8, 2019
- Comparison of Constituency-level “votes polled” & “votes counted” data #GeneralElections2019 #InteractiveMap - June 5, 2019
- A scathing indictment of the once respected, now suspected Election Commission of India - June 5, 2019