I get a flood of emails pointing out to me various problems with the Jan Lokpal Bill. Where earlier people had questioned the “democracy” of the movement, we now have smear campaigns about its leaders.A variety of things mushroom up.
- Kiran Bedi got some preferential treatment for her daughter
- Anna Hazare is a BJP supporter
- Anna Hazare is secretly making the Congress job easier
- Anupam Kher insulted the constitution
- Bhushan made secret deals exploiting the legal system
- Wrong to include religious leaders in the leadership of the movement – communal!!! (I was quite surprised to read this. Religious leaders finding common cause is communal?)
- Hazare is a dictator
- Hazare supports communal violence
- I supported the movement to bring corruption down, because it was making me feel frustrated and impotent to sit quiet watching the scams scroll the news every day.
- If enough of us have caused this to happen, this is not undemocratic. In fact, I think we abolished princely states to convert India into a kind of political monarchy, and this is our French revolution that is remarkably unbloody.
- If this movement fails, I will be supporting absolutely everything challenging corruption in the government from the Opposition parties to the Maoists or something new. And I will do it for as many government changes as it takes.
- I believe that the responsible leadership of this movement made it possible for something to challenge the government powerfully, yet without anarchy and violence.
- The projected fantasy that all was well till Anna upset the cart is bizarre. All was hideous. It was fast becoming shameful to be Indian. I now feel better about owning my nationality publicly.
- It is only great integrity that can manage a non-violent movement that has such power. I think that integrity will serve us well for now at least. IF there are problems, we aren’t an ice cube. We can reevaluate what doesn’t work. The country is in a mood to fix itself. It is choosing a sane voice, and saner voices are well advised to value it, because frustrating it cannot halt it, it will only add force and erupt in unpredictable ways – like a river.
Satyameva Jayate – Truth Alone Prevails
Founder at Aam Janata
Vidyut has a keen interest in mass psychology and using it as a lens to understand contemporary politics, social inequality and other dynamics of power within the country. She is also into Linux and internet applications and servers and has sees technology as an important area India lacks security in.
Latest posts by Vidyut (see all)
- Open letter to the Chief Justice of India - April 13, 2019
- Nationwide Protest by NREGA workers #NREGASangharshMorcha - March 2, 2019
- Repression of Activists cannot stop the second Kisan Long March - February 16, 2019