- The fuel in Reactor 4 is not all spent. The reactor was closed for maintenance. There is nothing inside the reactor. The potent stuff that was generating electricity in reactors 1,2 and 3 is soaking in its bath tub in reactor 4. This is why we hear more news of reactor 4’s spent fuel pool being flooded with sea water. Because it gets hot faster, and evaporates water faster. And no, the water is not going to cool that down. This is going to happen for a long, long time, because it is enriched still, and becuase partial exposure to air accelerated the fissions within it even more.
- The fuel in reactor 3 is called MOX. It contains Plutonium in addition to Uranium. This plutonium is far more potent (radioactive) and it is essentially the plutonium recycled from decomissioned nuclear weapons. Plutonium is also extremely dangerous to get contaminated with, and it lasts longer than you can imagine. With a half-life of 24,000 years, that plutonium is likely to outlive mankind altogether. Got that? So, keeping that reactor from exploding is a huge priority. Good part being that the enriched fuel is inside, and while still dangerous, the spent fuel tanks have spent fuel only.
- Reactors are leaking. First it was thought that it was only reactor two, but now it seems that its all three. Worse, the tanks storing the seawater coming out of the reactors have at least one confirmed leak, possibly more. They are leaking directly into the sea. Baaad news.
Founder at Aam Janata
Vidyut has a keen interest in mass psychology and using it as a lens to understand contemporary politics, social inequality and other dynamics of power within the country. She is also into Linux and internet applications and servers and has sees technology as an important area India lacks security in.
Latest posts by Vidyut (see all)
- Open letter to the Chief Justice of India - April 13, 2019
- Nationwide Protest by NREGA workers #NREGASangharshMorcha - March 2, 2019
- Repression of Activists cannot stop the second Kisan Long March - February 16, 2019