ENTRANCE SECURITY IS FLAWEDThe only security restrictions that the two RTI activists encountered was at the gate when they entered. The flaws are:
- The cops let them in after looking at a photocopy of the PIO’s letter, which could easily have been a cheap forgery.
- They made no effort to verify that the duo had been called for an RTI inspection on a holiday. They did not even try to phone the concerned official or the department.
- They did think it necessary to send an escort with the activists.
- As it was a government holiday, the security office was closed, and so the bags that Krish and Sulaiman were carrying were not passed through the X-ray machine. They did not have to go through any metal detectors. They were not frisked. The bags were not opened or even felt.
- The duo found that they were at complete liberty to go anywhere in the deserted building, and do anything they liked. On their way up, the duo stopped the lift at the third floor, and then on the 13th floor, where the State Information Commission is located. They went outside, saw that the floor was completely deserted, with the offices locked, and then proceeded to the 19th floor.
- When they arrived on the 19th floor of the building, like everywhere else, there was no security whatsoever.
- There are no security cameras anywhere in the building. On an off-day, a person who enters this building is free to do anything he likes, unobserved and unhindered.