I have followed news on Maharashtra drought for days. It is most frustrating that there is little obvious drought relief. The need is water. What can we do?
I am just trying to brainstorm ways how we might be able to help.
- Reliable information from the ground indicates that there is a full fledged private water tanker business thriving on the needs of the people. Funds donated to drought relief organizations are often scammed - either as single delivery for multiple payments or other ways. The government tankers are usually missing, forcing people to purchase water.
- Rampant quantities of water are being extracted from the already depleted ground water and most of this water continues to go to industries buying in bulk while the usage that gets publicized is the far less quantity for human consumption in the name of drought relief.
- There is a need to figure out ways of forcing a halt on ground water extraction for any reasons beyond humanitarian relief.
- Donating things that will help people use less water. Disposable paper plates, such as could help save on dish washing water.
- Simple technologies like solar water sills that might help them get potable water out of waste water?
- Really trusted feminists and rights workers possibly offering residential housekeeping work to women who need to get out of the place - as an alternative to some of the worse desperate solutions? I don't know. Just thinking out loud.
- Collect contacts for various funds and people on the ground and verify and analyze them to see who is likely to bring most impact and promote those and encourage people to help there.
We could start a community on the new Desi Pirates site for people who are able to get involved in drought to see if we can come up with solutions. The drought is going nowhere. The worst of summer is still ahead of us. Are there ways we can help lighten the burden?
Do you have ideas? Comment below. What is the most genius idea you can come up with that can help people who have little water and even less chances of more water in the near future? How can you help them cope?
Do you live in a drought hit area of Maharashtra? Or are willing to travel there to help (on own expense) if some idea needs it? Volunteer in the comments so we can keep track of you.