|Name of rape case||Pages in chargesheet||No of search results in MSM sites|
|Tarun Tejpal Goa Rape Case||2684||8060|
|Asaram Bapu rape case||1011||4260|
|Babu Lal Nagar rape case||200||4080|
|Shakti Mills rape case (photojournalist)||600||1460|
|Shakti Mills rape case (second – was back to back with first)||361||395|
|Hyderabad techie gang rape by cab drivers case||45||533|
- The Babu Lal Nagar case has a smaller chargesheet than the pattern. Babu Lal Nagar is also a politician and an ex-minister.
- The second Shakti Mills Gang Rape case has disproportionately more page chargesheet – it also came on the heels of the first Shakti Mills Gang Rape outrage.
- I have deliberately omitted the Delhi Gang Rape, which has a 1011 page chargesheet, mainly because the results (210,000) include all kinds of articles, which are not related to the case but refer to it – from demands for laws to new laws to op-eds on other rapes to …. anything. Literally. I was not able to filter out relevant results in a way that could be equivalent with the rest. If you can, help me out.
- There are bound to be errors in such measures ranging from pages indexed or not by Google, to cases being referenced by other issues, so this cannot be considered an accurate method, but assuming similar variations for all the cases (other than Delhi Gang Rape), I think the results are indicative of a need for more refined research.
- The custom search currently shows only results from sites related with National news channels. I imagine large newspapers also influence opinion and I will try to customize this search to include a more realistic selection of news sources that influence public opinion.
Founder at Aam Janata
Vidyut has a keen interest in mass psychology and using it as a lens to understand contemporary politics, social inequality and other dynamics of power within the country. She is also into Linux and internet applications and servers and has sees technology as an important area India lacks security in.
Latest posts by Vidyut (see all)
- Checking the latest provisional data from the Election Commission of India (with map) - June 8, 2019
- Comparison of Constituency-level “votes polled” & “votes counted” data #GeneralElections2019 #InteractiveMap - June 5, 2019
- A scathing indictment of the once respected, now suspected Election Commission of India - June 5, 2019