Yesterday evening, someone addressed tweets to me asking for help about a cousin who had been killed in Ghaziabad by her in-laws, cremated and the tweep’s aunt was refused an FIR by the police.
The story was frankly outrageous. Out of a sixties film – I mean, whoever imagines that a woman will be killed by in-laws, cremated within a few hours AND cops will refuse to file case? … but there was no mistaking the tweep’s desperation.
Several of us reached out to organize confirmation and help for this woman. And… the story was true. Far more powerful voices than me are rooting for this woman, but here are the initial facts that got us started.
In spite of all this, there is still no FIR filed so far!!! To make a hideously bad pun, it is their funeral. I don’t think this is going to go away. too many people outraged and rightly so.
I for one want to see heads roll.
The story as told by the tweep [name withheld for now at least]
- His cousin was murdered by her in-laws.
- Neighbours saw marks on her body that pointed to murder.
- Within hours of her death, her body was cremated.
- The police (presumably bribed) refused to file and FIR when the mother complained.
- Twice. The third time the aunt was accompanied by journos and told that she would get the FIR after investigations were complete. Which is bizarre.
- The victim’s mom was begging for justice instead of mourning a daughter needlessly killed.
I will not presume details and filling gaps without confirmation – media WILL take this on, but based on the initial news, the outraged woman wants at *least* the following heads to roll…
- The victim’s husband and in-laws involved.
- The doctor who issued death certificate
- ALL police involved in cover up – that means EVERY policeman who heard this story and made no move to file case. And specially – Anil Kumar from Vijay Nagar Police Station.
- And anyone else who falls out of this tree once it shakes.
To put it mildly, I am furious that this can happen with such collusion and impunity. Nobody killed Naina Singh. Heck according to cops, she wasn’t killed at all, no – if there is no case?
But most importantly, that brother not even living in the country, most likely young and unsure who dared raise his voice and draw attention to this whole story publicly – he has my respect.
Lastly, why am I writing all this? Because I want this news to spread, become an outrage. Read it, pass it on, talk about it, follow it in the news… don’t let it vanish. We all have cousins.
I have got the news that the Tehelka Journalist insisted on an FIR being filed, and finally it is filed. Will post link once they upload it.
FIR filed under 304B of IPC – which should mean Naina’s in-laws being arrested and non-bailable warrants.
Tehelka is covering this story for sure, as are NDTV. Other newspapers and channels expected to join in too.
Legal help has been volunteered as well. Will update details when Naina’s mother accepts it.
Feeling good about the capacity of people to reach out and help. Many, many strangers have joined forces to make this possible.
Tehelka has posted their first article about Naina Singh’s murder