Fundamental duties of an Indian citizen
I think we have wandered very far from these, and these are really beautiful guidelines on how to be as a citizen of India.
So posting them here in the hope that seeing them in a new form may trigger people to think about what they mean:
- To abide by the Constitution and respect its ideals and institutions, the National Flag and the National Anthem.
- To cherish and follow the noble ideals which inspired our national struggle for freedom.
- To uphold and protect the sovereignty, unity and integrity of India.
- To defend the country and render national service when called upon to do so.
- To promote harmony and the spirit of common brotherhood amongst all the people of India transcending religious, linguistic and regional or sectional diversities; to renounce practices derogatory to the dignity of women.
- To value and preserve the rich heritage of our composite culture.
- To protect and improve the natural environment including forests, lakes, rivers and wild life, and to have compassion for living creatures.
- To develop the scientific temper, humanism and the spirit of inquiry and reform.
- To safeguard public property and to abjure violence.
- To strive towards excellence in all spheres of individual and collective activity so that the nation constantly rises to higher levels of endeavor and achievement.
I think this is the most life-affirming and wise advice I have ever received on how to live and how to be and I think it is incredible that it is sarkari and “free” and in the first document of relevance to us as Indians itself.