Date(s) - 04/01/2018
5:00 pm - 8:00 pm
The Finance Minister Arun Jaitley announced the rules regarding the issuing of #ElectoralBonds in Parliament on January 2. These rules raise several worrying, yet fundamental questions about transparency of political funding, including foreign funding of political parties, unlimited corporate donations, and the possibility of laundering black money through Electoral Bonds.
Join us on Twitter today (January 4), from 5 pm, as we ask hard questions on these grave issues, listed below, using the hashtag #NameTheDonors and #RepealElectoralBonds
1. Claim – Electoral Bonds make political funding transparent.
Question – To Whom? The general public? Or just the party in power?
Fact – The public will know nothing. The ruling party will know all. #NameTheDonors
2. If only selective state departments know who funds whom, and not the general public, it is NOT transparency – it is SECRECY. #NameTheDonors
3. Why has foreign funding of political parties been made legal via amendments in the FCRA act in 2016, after the courts held BJP & others guilty of illegally getting foreign funding? #NameTheDonors
4. How does removing the cap on corporate donations help fight use of black money for political funding? #NameTheDonors
5. Electoral Bonds incentivize shell companies to be set up purely to donate to political parties. Financial wizards will use these channels to launder black money. Without disclosing the identity of those receiving donations from these companies, Electoral Bonds legalize black money laundering. #NameTheDonors.
6. The Finance Minister smoothly listed benefits of electoral bonds, but fumbled while explaining why donors must not be named. Does he not believe his own answers? #NameTheDonors
7. Only the state can know who donates, even to opposition parties. AAP’s funding is already being investigated. Congress has also expressed its fears. Will electoral bonds be used by the BJP as a tool for political vendetta, by harassing those who fund the opposition? #NameTheDonors
Let’s tweet today from 5 pm. #NameTheDonors